So, I want you to take a good hard look at this weather report for the next couple of days and say it with me....YUCK! I know, I know, Canadians love to talk about the weather and it's super annoying. But whatever! It's gross outside, it makes me grumpy, and turns normal political annoyances into great big gloomy ones.
Rather than go on a diatribe on any one thing, as there is so much going on today it'll be hard to pick just one, I'm going to do a few quick hits so that you can go out and consume some news yourself. With my voice in your ear of course...Onwards!
The "Biggies" (Not the Rapper)
There are probably two big news stories today, at least two that I care to blog about, and they are:
1) The Budget Bill has been tabled, and it is a SPRAWLING 400 page tome. There's some good information on what's in it here. Why is this a crappy thing to do? Well, normally budget bills don't wholesale overhaul legislation and regulation. In most cases these bills simply operationalize what was already announced in the budget. Because of this, they don't have to go through the same scrutiny as other bills. Thus, are the Conservatives using this as yet another opportunity to do government with the door closed? Absolutely.
2) Abortion is back on the table in Ottawa. What's that, you can here hacks of all shapes and sizes telling you that isn't true? Well, screw'em. Let's call things what they actually are, and so "debating the definition of when a human life begins" is really REALLY crappy code for "let's find new and interesting ways to limit a woman's right to choose. Do I think this will lead anywhere in the short to medium term? No. Should we be afraid to have an open discussion about this in our democracy? Of course not. Is it cowardice to try to jazz up your language to hide your true intentions? Yes. And so, this is very annoying on a cold and rainy day...or any day for that matter.
Variously, here are some other things in the news that I find annoying:
- They're making loonies and toonies lighter, and so it'll cost millions and millions of dollars across the country of YOUR money to upgrade parking meters and the like. This one's just silly.
- Following along in silly news of the day - why in the world would you sell a "key to the city"? Also, calling this "regifting" is also silly.
- There's a motion in Ontario to make tanning illegal for people under the age of 18. This is probably a pretty good idea. But the real reason I posted this one, is the response to the polling question on the Toronto Sun site. Too funny!
Stay dry out there people!
p.s. vote for my blog at www.progressivebloggers.ca by clicking the button below!